Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Blog Post # 12 In Response to Question L


            Watching the movie “Gimp” was so fascinating. The way everyone moved in the dancing was phenomenal. I really didn’t notice that some of the dancers had any problems with their body unless I really looked for them. IT was beautiful to watch them all move so easily and with such precision.
            This dance really expanded notions of the human body, because it shows that even if you have some issue with your body, you can still break through that and dance. For example there was a girl with no legs, but she was still able to use the ropes and moving incredibly with them. Also there was a girl missing part of her arm, but that didn’t stop her from dancing across the stage and doing all different sorts of arm movements. Also there was a man who seemed to have some knee problems, but he almost used that to his advantage and moved amazingly around the stage.
            This piece addresses issues of ableism and how the dancers don’t discriminate against it. Dance can further address these issues by showing people that even though they may have a disadvantage over others, they can still do pretty much the same things as other, if not better such as dancing. Dancing shows people how able people with disabilities really are. They are no different from you and me. 

6 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you, it was amazing to see how they danced and moved. It really showed how disabilities do not matter, it is the inside which can make anyone achieve something or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is really important for people to understand your last sentence. People with disabilities are no different from you and me. We choose to make it seem that they are different from us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also wrote of how I didn't really notice some of the disabilities people had at first. I think that is part of the overall impact the video had. It is possible that it was kind of a symbol of how disabilities are only an issue if thought of as one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with every one here, it was just so amazing to see all of them dancing.

    @ Tom I also couldn't get at first that they have some sort of disability but irrespective of their disability they know what they can do.They are definitely some great dancers and can change the perspective of the society around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought the video was amazing too. I didn't notice that some of them had a disability either at some parts! I had to look really closely. It really powerfully presented the human body in so many different aspects, disproving the issues that perpertuate ableism.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also did not notice some of the dancers disabilities at first because I was simply watching them dance, not analyzing their specific body parts. The woman dancing with the ropes was absolutely amazing, and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete