Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Blog Post # 8 In Response to Question H

        I was baptized as a baby, so Christianity has always been a part of my life. I grew up going to Church every Sunday, and on special holidays.  However, as I got older and went to high school, I started to question if I really did believe in the same things of Christianity. I don’t really associate myself with any religion now. I guess you could say I’m confused at this moment. But thinking back to when I was younger and seeing how many people went to church, it makes me realize how many people are Christian, and how people think of it as the dominant religion today. I went to a predominantly Jewish high school though, so I got a little taste of their religion as well. No, I never had to go to temple during school, but my friends did invite me over for dinner on Friday nights for Shabat. So seeing both sides has really made me realize that a lot of religions I guess you could say are oppressed, because they don’t get equal treatment when it comes to taking time off because of their religious holidays, or certain times of prayer.
            It is amazing to see that after reading the list of Christian privileges how much Christians are seen as privileged. Other people of other religions should be able to have the same time off, or equal treatment of their holidays as well. However I did notice that at my high school, many of my holidays were based on the Jewish religion so I had more days off for Roshshashana and Passover,  as well as Easter, and Christmas. So during high school I saw  religion treated more as equal more than one being oppressed over the other. Granted I know there are many other religions out there. 

3 comments:

  1. I think it is great that you were able to go to a high school that treated religion more equally than most. I wonder how schools could make it so religions were not oppressed, as there are so many out there. I think that maybe they could take holidays for the religions of the children in school?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really interesting how you went to a high school that was predominantly Jewish. I'm not Jewish, but I wish I was surrounded by more religions. I feel that most people are Christian and those that aren't Christian don't really speak out. My high school was predominantly Christian so I haven't really ever been around religion equality. I definitely feel that everyone's religion should be treated equal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All religions should be treated equally and I find it refreshing that your high school attempted to treat all religions equally. I have always been in an environment of mostly Christians and always wondered why certain holidays always seemed more important than others. I guess the Christian religion does seem themselves as privileged.

    ReplyDelete