Thursday, January 20, 2011

Blog Post # 14 In Response to Question N


           I think a good activist is someone with compassion and empathy. I think an activist fights for things that are really important and holds protests that are non violent. I feel like many people call themselves activists, but they never actually act on that do things for the greater good. They feel like its cool to call themselves but are scared to ever really do anything to fight for the rights of everyone. In or order to be a good activist you must actually stand up for the people and do things about the issues at hand. There are many things a good activist does which I learned about in the videos.            
            In one of the video it says all actions must be based on compassion, which is a very valuable quality of an activist. I also think two important traits are to choose carefully and learn to act not react. These two are important because you can’t fight for all issues at hand all the time. So it’s important to choose a cause really close to your heart and really fight for it. The most important thing is the pursuit of service for the good of all not for the advancement or benefit of individuals or selected communities. I think that’s really important because all people deserve to have equal rights so people should be fighting for all people and not just certain groups of people. 

5 comments:

  1. I like what you said about how people are scared. In my post I talked about how you have to make little risks, and I think this is what scares people away from being activists.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is important that you noted it is important to service for the good of all and not individuals or selected communities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the fact that you mention that it is important for an activist to actually act upon what they are trying to acheive for the greater good. I think compassion is a very important trait that an activist must have and I also agree with you when you say that an activist must also work for the good of all not just for the individual.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't include compassion in my post but I realize I oberlooked it. I think that is very important. To me compassion shows most when, for example, straight people fight for gay rights. It shows that we are all human and everyone deserves equality. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You bring good point to the fact that a lot of people may consider themselves activists, but never really act upon their beliefs. I think a powerful activist takes someone who is proactively fighting for what they believe in

    ReplyDelete