Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Quick Blog # 3

1.  When I first went to look at college's junior year of high school, I went to Curry College. I took a tour and was talking to some kids about where they were from and what school they went to and if it was their top choice. One of the kids said, that Curry was their top choice and they had gone to a public high school that wasn't very good with academics. When one of the kids asked me, I realized i sounded very snotty and privileged because i had gone to a very prestigious private college prep school and Curry happened to be my backup. Looking back on that interaction with some of the perspective students i realize now, how awful i sounded because of where i came from. Those kids i spoke to probably thought i was the rudest person in the world and didn't want to be bothered by them. Im not like that at all, but my remarks made me sound a lot more privileged then them which probably turned them away from me. 


2. I can't say i've ever felt oppressed in any situation due to my class or socioeconomic background. I realize though that many people have dealt with many situations involving it, but I cant say as I have ever had one. 


3. My sophomore year of high school many things changed. Going to a small college prep school really secluded me from many things. However, during this year, my school decided to start a football team, so our athletic director started recruiting people. When we started school there were many new people, some being from different ethnic backgrounds. One of them was in my math class, so on the first day our teacher asked us all a question. The new kid Jamal raised his hand first to answer the question, but our teacher didn't pick him. No one else raised their hand, but our teacher still wouldn't pick him. He said, "Mrs. Jones, I know the answer, why wont you pick me?" Mrs. Jones replied," How could you possibly know the answer, you just got here and I guarantee wherever you came from, you weren't learning this type of math." When I heard my teacher say that, and see the expression on Jamal's face, I was shocked! The whole class just looked at each other thinking did that really just happen? I couldn't believe our teacher would say such a thing. It horrified me and to this day i still think about how unfairly treated Jamal was in our class. 

No comments:

Post a Comment