Friday, January 14, 2011

Quick Blog # 4

            Personally I love the song “Whip It” by Willow Smith. I think its very catchy and it makes me really want to whip my hair back and forth. I know to some people it may be a stupid song made by a very young girl but I absolutely love it. I think her song has somewhat of a good message to it. In parts where she says, “Don’t let haters get me off my grind. Whip my hair, if I know I’ll be fine. Keep fighting until I get there. When I’m down and I feel like giving up,” she’s telling people not to let others get to them, and to just do you. I really like the song.
            I do think she provides a good role model for girls, in her music video there are no scenes where girls are dressed provocatively, or where men are seen are more superior. She also isn’t saying anything horrible in her lyrics either. Its also refreshing to see how there is nothing in the video, which would be seen as horrible or troubling, or even as sexualization. Her video is very different then many videos today. Although it is quite interesting to see that most of the girls in her video are black. I did see people of all different races at the end during the dance off. She incorporates all different types of people which is good to see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment