Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Blog Response # 13 In Response to Question M


          What is the root of ageism?  I really do not know what to think of about how ageism really came about. I think its not right that elders are treated the way they are sometimes though. But I think ageism really started because of the stereotypes that so many people think of when they think of elderly people. You know things like they move slowly or drive very slowly, their brains don’t work as fast as they used to, they are to fragile to do anything and they should just sit around and play bingo with their friends. Those types of stereotypes I think are the reason ageism is pretty much around, granted I think there could be more to it, but I don’t know what else it could be.
            I like to think I’m not ageist. I don’t think down about elderly people, they are just as willing to do things as younger people are as well.  I thinks its awful how in the video “Once We Were Young” the lady was harassed on the streets by people and in the market place she was talked down to by a teenager. I don’t think I’ve ever done something like that so I wouldn’t call myself ageist. But I do worry about my grandparents sometimes when they go out because I don’t anything to happen to them, while they are driving or something, but I don’t think that makes me ageist.
            I think that ageism isn’t talked a lot about in our society because people don’t really think its there. I didn’t really think about ageism as being around that much until watching these videos and reading some of the articles. I think that only a select few in our country really go out of their way to oppress the elders in public, and maybe a few others oppress them in other ways through health insurance or elder care. I really have never though about it until today so it seems to be seldom talked about. I think it may also be that there are so many stereotypes involved with elderly people that others don’t think about how those stereotypes are in a way the oppression of elderly people.
            

2 comments:

  1. I too said that ageism is caused from the stereotypes. Obviously not all elderly people classify under those stereotypes but people just assume that. I considered myself an ageist just because for example when someone is driving slow I assume it's an elderly since they're known for driving slow. I'm not sure if that is considered being an ageist, but little things like that can build up to the larger problems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too worry about my grandparents after watching that film. I can't imagine something like that happening to someone just because they are old. If anything I think older people deserve more respect, and consideration. What is so bad about being an old person anyways? It's just a part of life and everyone will hit that point someday. People need to think that when they become older will they want to be treated in the way that older people are being treated now?

    ReplyDelete